About Me

My photo
I have been married to my incredible hubby for 14 years. We have four rowdy, growing boys. I love to gather ideas from other mommies and books. My heart is to share some of these with you and encourage you in this adventure.

Friday, March 8, 2013

100 Point Summer Challenge

"She watches over the ways of her household"  Prov 31 :27 KJV

  I have four boys ages 12, 9,7, and 5.  Last year I found myself getting a little anxious when summer rolled around.  Because we live in the desert, we are usually inside all day long, and I mean all day long.  Of course we go to the pool and go on outtings, but most of our time is spent at home.  My ultimate goal is to limit their time with technology.  In the summer,  I do allow them to play on the computer or video games or watch tv for up to two hours a day.  Last year, I devised this plan to keep them busy and it was really successful. The boys can accumulate 100 points each month.  I composed a chart for June and then for July.  Once an activity is finished, they are responsible for placing the appropriate number of "x's"  on their chart.  When they accrue 100 points I give them a 10 dollar gift card or 10 dollars cash.  Here is the point system I use:

read for 30 minutes:  3 points
play with a brother for 30 minutes:  3 points
draw for 20 minutes:  2 points
do a craft project for 20 minutes:  2 points
exercise for 15 minutes:  2 points
jump on the trampoline for 15 minutes:  2 points
throw football passes for 15 minutes:  2 points
build with legos for 30 minutes:  3 points
play ping pong for 15 minutes:  2 points
play a board game for 20 minutes:  2 points
play cards for 20 minutes:  2 points



You can create your own point system.  A poster board taped to the wall works really well for this.  Here is a picture of our chart:

As this summer approaches, I am finding myself less anxious because of this system.  Hugs to all of you amazing moms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers