I believe the desire of every mom's heart is for her children to be the best of friends. I know this is something I think about quite often. What can I do to cultivate this as a mom?
1. I can encourage them to work out their issues on their own.
2. I can provide a home in which I do not compare the children to one another.
3. I can provide a home where tearing down one another, name calling, and aggravating one another is not acceptable.
4. I can praise them when I see them choosing to get along or choosing to be kind to a sibling. (Check out my kindness jar post.)
5. MOST IMPORTANTLY, I can pray God's Word over them.
Here are the scriptures I have collected from the Message Bible to pray over them:
God, help them not to be hot headed or quick tempered with one another. Prov 14 MSG
God, remind them to respond gently to one another. Prov. 15:1 MSG
Let their words be kind and helpful towards one another. Prov. 15:4 MSG
Remind them that when they overlook an offense, they bond a friendship. (in other words help them to tattle less!) Prov 17 MSG
Prompt them to get along with each other and to be considerate of one another. 1 Cor 1:10 MSG
God, help them to find common ground with each other. 1 Cor 9:22 MSG
Lord, may they speak encouraging words to one another and build one another up. 1 Thes 5 MSG
May their love for one another grow. 2 Thes. 1:3 MSG
Help them to love one another deeply. 1 Pet 1:22 MSG
Let them be agreeable, sympathetic, loving, compassionate, and humble towards one another. 1 Pet. 3
Remind them not to compare themselves to one another. Gal 5 MSG
Help them to agree with each other, love each other, and be deep spirited friends. Phil 2 MSG
God, may they be even tempered with one another, content with second place, and quick to forgive each other. Col 3:13 MSG